Sunday, November 24, 2013

Driven by the wind

We wimped out on the riding today. And the ponies had breakfast inside for a change. While they ate, we trekked to Tractor Supply for barn stuff, then let 'em loose and mucked stalls. After wheeling the barrows outside and having wind blow shavings back in our faces, we hunkered down, doing indoor repairs. By the time we'd finished, it was time for a nice warm cup of tea and neither of us really wanted to ride. John and I looked at each other and said, "Let's go home for tea and some pea soup." We were driven inside by the wind. The non-stop gusting put the temperatures in single digits, I believe. My hands, feet, and ears were cold, even in winter boots, and heavy hat, and gloves.

Our rhododendrons are the "other" thermometers at the house. We can gauge the temperature by how tightly the leaves are curled. Today, I guessed 22, and the window thermometer proved my guess correct. We have to use the bushes on the north side for an accurate read. The one on the southwest corner always comes in higher due its exposure to nearly full sun.

John and I warmed up by the wood stove before moving on to other tasks. While he worked on repairing a kayak, I split up a supply of kindling. By 4 p.m., it was time to go check on our gang. As we drove up the road, Ruffy was rearing and they were cantering around--from the cold, or just because they were feeling rambunctious? Once we had the stalls readied, grain dished out, water buckets filled, I went outside and whistled them up. First, they stopped their games and stared at me, but then cantered up the hill, eager for dinner.

Here's Harley getting his warm mash served up while I groomed the caked mud from his coat. He was a little spooky with the barn doors clanking in the wind and the beams creaking overhead, but having John there calmed him--John would keep the demons out of the barn.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Harley's blog.