Early on a Sunday, towards the end of our arctic freeze, I heard the wood stove roaring, looked out the window and saw smoke pouring from the chimney. John called 911, calmly stating, "It appears we have a chimney fire." The South Berwick Fire Department showed up with two trucks, and all the extras. Bundled in my Carhartt overalls and down parka, I watched as they knocked it down and "condemned" my wood stove from further use until I had it inspected and cleaned. Long story short, and nearly $2000 later, I re-lined the chimney, just in time for the impending heat wave. But we know Mother Nature isn't finished with winter yet!
John and I took a break from barn chores to sit on the hay sled down in the pasture, and watched the horses enjoy the bright warm sun and breakfast.
Grain seems to be a second choice for food in the morning, surpassed by grass and morning frolics. By late morning, thirst will send them up the hill for water which is when they will finally eat their breakfast meal. Once the sun disappears, the lights come on in the barn, and I whistle into the darkness, thundering hooves and shadows appear at the gate, ready for dinner.
|Rolex & Vance check out the hay sled|