Friday, June 22, 2012

Simmering summer days

The heat wave that began Wednesday sent most people scurrying to the closed confines of their air-conditioned homes. In order to avoid the worst of the heat, yet keep the horses working and fit, we rode early in the morning before the temperatures crested.

Missy Antsy Pants
For the last two days, I rose at 5:30, headed out to the barn, and was in the saddle by 7 a.m. Both Harley and I were beat after about a half hour of ring work with lots of trotting and cavaletti. This groundwork is critical, not only for Harley, but me as well. And in spite of the heat, it started my day off right. We avoided the worst heat and I saw improvements in just a couple of days. Thanks to John's help, I even made it to work on time!

Tonight, thunderstorms are rolling in, and hopefully , alleviating the heat.  The horses were already in the barn, but very sweaty. So before the storm hit, I washed them down and set up a fan on each to cool them off a bit. Rolex, always the antsy one who hates being cooped up inside, kept pawing the floor and the vibration made the fan keel over. She's not a spooky horse and just looked at it, then went back to pacing and pawing. I'm sure once I left, shut her gate, and shut off the lights, she would settle down.
 Ruffy, happy to have a fresh water and a lot of hay, settled right in to eating. And ditto for Harley.  I'm hoping the storm will pass through tonight and clear by tomorrow so Harley and I can continue our ring work. Then we'll treat ourselves to a walk in the woods, but armed with bug dope. The deer flies have arrived with the heat wave. How auspicious that the hottest day thus far was the first day of summer. It's days like this that make me long for September.


Harley after a cool bath on a hot summer night
 On the bright side, this hot weather is good for appetite reduction and weight loss! I've dropped another pound over the last few days. It's the perfect time for lots of fresh berries and watermelon. Oh, and of course, ice cream. But I'm a believer  of everything in moderation.

If the weather cooperates, I hope to go pick strawberries this weekend and make some jam! Nothing like local fresh sweet strawberries. Kind of makes those giant steroid strawberries from California taste insipid.


Sunset before the thunderstorm

3 comments:

  1. What a different summer we are having over here :-(
    There have been a few days when the temperature didn't climb past 53F - Christmas day was warmer here! Add in torrential rain, continuous grey skies and strong winds, and suddenly the cooler temperatures, which seem ideal for riding in, are not so attractive.
    I've got loads of green strawberries on my plants which just can't ripen - they'll be delicious if Mr Sunshine ever makes an appearance, and I'll probably get to make some jam too.
    I love your sunset photo. Very brooding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh--rained out today. Big thunderstorms coming in, but maybe it will cool things off. Maybe I'll pick strawberries next week...

      Delete
  2. Pretty girl Rolex !
    Bless your heart, you early riser! We go out mid day...but in shaded woods. I KNOW if I lived with my horse, is be up with the crack of dawn too. I always am when we horse camp!

    Yea, we've had the thunders here too...lightening struck 2 people and one house last week.

    With our breezes, the humidity has been bearable. It's currently far grey and rain....yardworking it is today.

    You hang in, praying a cool breeze blows your flies and heat away!
    KK

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Harley's blog.