Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Back in the saddle again...

It's been over 20 years since I rode, maybe a bit less for John, but we're both back in the saddle again. Post-surgery probably doesn't include galavanting around on a horse, so I've only been for a mellow walk in the ring. John tested Harley's fear of umbrellas (none), and "snakes in the grass" --a spooky rope trail behind him (not happy with that). Then he took Harley out for a nice trail ride this morning. He's not too bad with water, but he did balk a bit at water running through a culvert (just wait till next spring, Harley!). Overall, he's got wonderful manners on the ground, and has a very sweet disposition. We checked his tattoo number and discovered Harley's real registered name is Halawa Moon, with some fancy names to his bloodlines. I never imagined my first horse to be free, nor to be an ex-racing Thoroughbred. I think Harley will settle with time and enjoy our adventures on the trails.

This Friday, maybe I can get the all-clear from the surgeon to get on board. Of course, it's going to be a while before I get my rubbery legs back into riding shape again. I think John and I are in for the time of our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Harley's blog.