Thursday, February 18, 2021

Winter Fun Without the Horses

 

What do you do when the trails are not conducive to riding? Get out the skis! We've had some wonderful snow conditions for skiing, but the trails are not packed enough for riding. Rather than putting a lot of stress on Harley's joints, I put it on mine instead!

I beat the pandemic crowds at Orris Falls, skis waxed and ready to go by 8:30 a.m. The conditions were perfect for my favorite set of skis; the Epokes. Rub on the wax and they're ready to glide. 

The climb up to Big Bump got the heart rate going. I enjoyed the peace and quiet broken only by a hairy woodpecker tap, tapping on an oak tree. If I wanted to see more wildlife, I should have gotten an earlier start. 

The descent, down the two steep pitches provided thrills and only one spill. And once I hit the flats, I even got in some skate skiing!

A mixed bag of weather arrived a few days later, ruining the snow and turning everything to ice. Then a deep freeze locked the footing up solid. We'll have to wait for a fresh snowfall to blanket the wood before the next outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Harley's blog.